Amidst the growing awareness about ‘Save Nature’ and ‘Save Environment’, people all over the world have developed a liking for plants and trees. Most families have plants in their houses and love to take care of them.
In fact, many houses have attached gardens and lawns full of green and healthy plants. If not real ones, many families do have fake plants to decorate their houses with green leaves and colorful flowers.
But getting the perfect plants has become a tiring task. You have to visit various plant stores and nurseries to get your desired green plants. But, worry no more. The Sill is here to take away this pain from you.
With the increasing popularity of digitalization and E-commerce, the company has established an online platform specifically for plants. Now, customers can easily get their favorite plants delivered to their doorstep.
The Sill: The Overview of Brand
The Sill is a New York-based company that offers real plants, fake plants, and plant accessories. The company was founded by Eliza Blank in the year 2012.
She is a plant lover and is very passionate about plants. She believes that being around or taking care of plants can make you happy.
One day, she realized that it was very difficult to get houseplants in a place like New York City. Hence, she founded The Sill, a company that has an online platform through which customers can get a variety of plants delivered to their doorsteps.
The company now provides delivery to plants all over the United States and has registered offices in New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.
It is a highly reputed brand in the United States. The company has been featured in popular media outlets like USA Today, Domaine, and The New York Times.
Talking about its social media presence, it has more than 843K followers on Instagram and more than 103K followers on Facebook.
Detailed Information about The Sill (Overview)
The Sill works on a simple motive – ‘Bringing Life To People, And People To Life’. As mentioned earlier, The Sill offers potted live plants as per your choice, delivered to your doorstep.
In addition, customers can also buy a variety of fake or dummy plants as well as a variety of accessories for houseplants. It is a one-stop solution to make, maintain, organize and take care of your home garden.
With such a wide variety of houseplants, customers can easily order plants with a click on their phones and in the comfort of their homes. Let us have a look at certain Pros and Cons of The Sill.
- A wide variety of plants are offered for all plant lovers.
- You can attend the workshops and webinars offered by the brand for free. Here, you learn how to take care of and nourish your plants.
- Customers can get a monthly subscription where fresh plants are delivered to their doorstep every month.
- Customers get the convenience and comfort of home.
- The company delivers to plants all across the United States.
- Delivery is not available in countries other than the United States.
- A few customers have complained of receiving dead or poor-quality plants.
- A few customers have also complained about the quality of the pots.
- The plants are a bit costlier than those available at a normal nursery or plant store.
In this review, we will also review a few types of plants offered by The Sill to make our review complete and holistic.
The Sill: What are the Products the Brand Offer?
The Sill offers all types of houseplants that customers want.
Whether you want tiny plants or gigantic plants, leafy plants or flowery plants, cactus or climbers, real plants or dummy plants; The Sill has it all to offer you.
In addition, you can also get plant accessories like pots, hangings, watering cans, etc. Moreover, The Sill has carbon-neutral shipping for the delivery of all its plants.
Discussed below are a few types of plants offered by The Sill.
The Sill Live Plants Review
The most popular types of plants offered by The Sill are its live or real plants. The company offers more than 90 different types of Live Plants for its customers including Monstera Deliciosa, Hoya Heart, Money Tree Plant, Philodendron Green, Large Fan Palm, and many more. A few features of these Live Plants are:
- You will get healthy and happy plants delivered to your home.
- A wide range of live houseplants to choose from.
- In case the plants are of poor quality, you will get a replacement for the same for free.
- You get plants in the nursery grow pots along with your planter choice for your convenience and ease.
- You get all the guidance about taking care of the plants and even the signs which indicate bad health about the plant.
- If the plants arrive dead or in bad quality, the company has a 30-day return policy.
Pricing- The Sill live plants are available on the company’s website in the price range of $18 – $174, based on the type of plant you choose.
The Sill Easy Care Plants
Taking care of your houseplants is a time-consuming and tiring task for some people. Hence, they prefer plants that require less care and time. The Sill also offers such plants under the name of Easy-Care Plants.
These plants require less care and time when compared to normal houseplants. If you are a busy working professional and do not get much time in a day, The Sill Easy Care Plants are the best to complete your house garden. Some of the features of these plants are:
- Customers get a wide variety of easy-care plants to choose from like Dracaena Marginata, Ric Rac Cactus, Photos Neon, Parlour Palm, Silver Satin and many more.
- These plants do not require watering on a daily basis which saves time for the plant owner.
- The plants arrive in the nursery and grow pots along with a planter of your choice.
- Customers get the benefit of a 30-day return policy where they can return their plants within 30 days if they are found to be unhealthy, dead or of poor quality.
Pricing – The Sill Easy Care plants are available on the company’s website in the price range of $28 – $179 based on the plants you choose.
The Sill Gift Collection
Plants are often considered to bring happiness in life. They make the house environment happy and full of life. Hence, gifting a plant to someone is a great choice. With the help of The Sill, you can give a variety of plants and even various plant accessories to your loved ones as presents. The Sill Gift Collection is very popular among people, especially among plant lovers. A few features of this collection are:
- Customers can choose from a variety of gifts, like live plants, planters, gift cards, harvesting kits, gardening kits, bouquets, message pops, tote bags, candles, sweatshirts, and many more.
- The gifts get delivered to the doorstep of your loved ones/receivers.
- The receivers can also make use of the 30-day return policy if the plants are not in good condition.
- Around 80 types of products are available in the gift collection.
Pricing – The Sill Gift Collection products are available on the company’s website in the price range of $5 – $500 based on the type of product you want to gift.
The Sill Monthly Subscription
Have you ever thought of a subscription for plants? If not, The Sill actually offers you a monthly subscription for plants so you can add new members to your home garden every month. The main features of The Sill Monthly Subscription are:
- Customers get a new plant delivered to their doorstep every month.
- The shipping of plants under all subscriptions is free of cost.
- You can keep the plant with yourself or can get it gifted to your loved ones as well.
- After the first three deliveries, customers can skip a month or cancel delivery at any time.
- Customers can select the choice of their plants as well as planters.
- Customers can learn about their plants and measures to take care of them through the company’s online digital library or through a monthly video sent via email.
- Subscriptions also include the 30-day return policy.
Pricing – The Sill Monthly Subscription starts from $50/month and goes upto $65/month based on the choice of subscription.
The Sill Pet-Friendly Plants
Plant-lovers generally have to kill their desire to have houseplants if they own some pets. There is always a risk to a pet’s life in case it chews or consumes the plants.
But this is not the case anymore with the help of The Sill. The company also provides Pet-Friendly Plants which do not affect the health and wellness of the pets.
The main features of these plants are:
- The plants are non-toxic in nature which ensures the safety of pets in case they eat them.
- The pots are made up of chic ceramic material to further ensure the safety and wellness of pets and children.
- The plants get delivered to the doorsteps of customers.
- Customers get the benefit of a 30-return policy and can return the plants if they are not in good condition.
- A wide variety of pet-friendly plants are available on the company’s website including Orchid varieties, Bromeliad varieties, a Calathea Vitatta, and various mosses.
Pricing – The Sill Pet-Friendly Plants are available on the company’s website in the price range of $78 – $154 based on the product chosen.
How to Order The Sill Products/ subscription?
If you are thinking of buying The Sill’s products for your own family, the below steps can help you in ordering your products.
- Visit the Website – First of all, you will have to visit the brand’s website (https://www.thesill.com/). Once you are on the website, click on the top left ‘Shop’ button.
- Choose your category and subcategories – Within the ‘Shop’ tab, you will be shown various categories and their subcategories. The categories are Plants, Planters, Plant Care, Gifts, Subscriptions and similar other options. Within these categories, there are subcategories for each. For example, under Plants, you get options of Live Plants, Easy-Care Plants, Pet-friendly Plants, Blooming Plants, and similar other subcategories. You may choose the category and subcategory as per your requirement.
- Select the product – Once you have selected the category and the subcategory, you will be shown a list of products under that subcategory. You may now select the product which you wish to order.
- Review the details and Add to Cart – Once you select your product, you will be shown various details about the product like its features, quality, available accessories, price, and similar other features. You may review all these features and check if the product fits your requirements or not. If you find the details satisfactory, you may move ahead and add the product to your cart.
- Fill in details and make payment – Lastly, you need to provide the required details like name, email, contact, address, and some other details. After providing these details, you will have to choose the payment option and it’s done. You will receive your order within the specified time.
The Sill Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
Sill’s products have both positive as well as negative reviews on various platforms. Some customers praise the customer service, timely deliveries, good quality plants and planters, reasonable prices, etc. while some complaint about poor customer service, dead plants, etc.
On Yelp, the company has a rating of 4 out of 5 stars and on Mashable, it has 4.5 out of 5 stars. However, on TrustPilot, the company has a rating of 2.5 stars out of 5 stars based on around 30 reviews. Let us have a look at a few reviews posted on Trustpilot.
- One reviewer on TrustPilot wrote – “I have ordered many plants from The Sill. All have been healthy, good in size and packaged well. I recently ordered 2 more large plants. I live in the midwest. One plant arrived in great shape, but the second plant did not handle the trip well during the cold month of January. I reached out and received good customer service to be sent to another plant.”
- Contrary to the previous reviewer another reviewer wrote – “Ordered the 7 plants pet-friendly bundle. One plant arrived broken and another mostly dead and missing a bunch of the leaves. I live in the Midwest and its winter, so figured the one just got too cold. It was a smaller plant, so just figured I would try to revive the dying one. It’s been about 20 days and it’s still droopy and wilted. But, the rest were also dying. Couldn’t figure out why, until I pulled them out of the grow pots to find them all root-bound. Some clearly needed care long before they sent them to me. I repotted them all and going to cross my fingers they recover. Didn’t bother with customer service because it looks like, judging by other reviews, that they don’t respond or care. Hopefully, some of them recover. Posting to help future customers.”
- One more reviewer wrote – “The Sill has great plants, but unfortunately has suffered during these days of supply chain and shipping issues. This is more of a heads up to leave plenty of time if you are ordering for a birthday or gift. I am holding out that they will respond to my request for replacement of a cold damaged plant (not their fault, UPS and weather).”
Just like any other company, The Sill also has both positive and negative reviews and ratings. However, the positive reviews outweigh the negative ones.
Is the Sill subscription Worth It?
If you are a plant-lover and love to be around leafy and colourful plants, The Sill subscription is best for you. What’s better than getting a new variety of plants every month.
In fact, the plant will be delivered to your doorstep, so you need not take the pain to visit a nursery or a plant store. You can just visit the company’s website, scroll to view various types of plants offered and just order the ones you like. This makes the subscription very convenient and simple.
Moreover, in case the plants delivered to you are dead or of poor quality, you can easily get them replaced with new ones. Additionally, all the plants delivered under your subscription have free shipping.
With all these features, The Sill Monthly Subscription for plants is completely worth a shot and we can assure you that they won’t disappoint you.
Our verdict on The Sill
By reviewing The Sill Plants and all its related aspects, our verdict on the company is a favourable one. Getting your desired variety of plants delivered to your doorstep is what makes the brand different from its competitors.
Moreover, the company has a wide variety of plants, planters and accessories to choose from. The customers can get all they want for their home garden. In fact, they have pet-friendly plants which ensure the safety of your pets.
The prices charged for the plants are also very reasonable. However, the prices for the pots and planters are a bit expensive but customers have a choice to have them or not to have them. This makes the brand affordable to people of all age-groups
As discussed earlier, the company offers a 30-day return policy under which you can return the plants delivered to you if they are found to be dead or of poor quality. This serves as proof of the brand’s trustworthiness and reliability.
In addition, there are a lot of customer reviews that claim the brand’s products to be of good quality. Considering all these features, we surely recommend you to try The Sill’s products at least once and grow your home garden more effectively and efficiently.