Unlike most of the brands that we come across in our everyday lives, Lume (pronounced loo-mee) was invented by a doctor named Shannon Klingman.
The idea of Lume came to her when she was doing her residency to become an OB/GYN. It was during that time that she noticed many women came to the doctor complaining about the odour below the belt.
They were left with a false diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis or BV and were provided with a prescription of antibiotics, which they didn’t actually require. Shanon felt miserable for those misdiagnosed women.
It was due to this reason that she was determined to invent her own brand of deodorant. Today that brand is known as Lume.
In this guide, we are going to know about-
- How is Lume better than other natural deodorant brands
- Currently available Lume products
- Lume compared to Schmidt’s and Native
- Prices of Lume products
- Our verdict
And much more about this amazing brand
Do Lume Deodorants really work? Are they effective?
Lume is a brand of outrageously effective full-body deodorants. We might have come across advertisements of different deodorant brands, claiming that their fragrance is long-lasting.
The products of Lume, unlike those, are clinically proven to provide 72 hours of odour control on even the most sensitive skin. It is recommended by dermatologists and is the front runner among natural deodorants.
Most deodorants work by hiding or covering up body odour. Instead, Lume works by stopping the bacteria that causes odour.
I personally have tried many natural deodorants. As I continue on my quest to find the best natural deodorant for me, I couldn’t skip over Lume.
In terms of what Lume doesn’t include—leaving out potentially harmful ingredients like aluminium and sulfates, as well as common sensitive skin irritants like baking soda and essential oils—it’s in good company with the other natural deodorants I’ve tried.*
But two things that set it apart from the others is that its formula has a creamy consistency and that it’s marketed as a product you can use for odour protection on any external part of your body.
What are the ingredients in Lume deodorant?
The ingredients used for making Lume deodorants are as follows:
1) Water– Water is primarily used as a solvent in cosmetics and personal care products in which it dissolves many of the ingredients that impart skin benefits
2) Mandelic Acid– it’s an effective antibacterial that is gentle to the skin and won’t disrupt the acid mantle
3) Maranta Arundinacea Root Powder– It absorbs moisture and keeps you fresh without harming your metabolism
4) Tapioca starch– It helps to absorb wetness on top of the skin and minimize the wetness feel without stopping your natural sweating process
5) Isoamyl Laurate Behenyl Alcohol– Isoamyl laurate has emollient properties, helping to condition skin when used in personal care products, and also has applications as a waxy, peach-like fragrance and flavouring ingredient
6) Hydrogenated Castor Oil- It works with the other oils and waxes in the antiperspirant base to give the stick a firm but spreadable consistency
7) Caprylic/Capric triglyceride– Caprylic/capric triglyceride creates a barrier on the skin’s surface, which helps to reduce skin dryness by decreasing the loss of moisture. Its oily texture helps to thicken and provides a slipperiness, which helps make our lotions and natural strength deodorants easy to apply and leaves a non-greasy after-touch
8) Naturally Derived Fragrance-Essential oils for antiseptic effects and scent.
9) PVM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer-It’s used as an additive in various cosmetic products around the globe.
10) Potassium Hydroxide-Highly alkaline ingredient (also known as lye) used in small amounts to modulate the pH of a product.
11) Glyceryl Stearate-Glyceryl Stearate acts as a lubricant on the skin’s surface, which gives the skin a soft and smooth appearance.
12) Stearyl Alcohol– it helps to emulsify the active ingredient and fragrance into the wax base
13) Dimethicone– It allows products to be applied in a smooth fashion to the skin and fills in wrinkles and lines for an even, smooth appearance of the product
14) Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice- It is a great moisturiser, anti-bacterial and has many anti-inflammatory properties making it a potent ingredient for healing wounds, reducing any signs of sunburn and helping dehydrated skin to lock in moisture.
15) Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter temporarily protects injured or exposed skin from harmful or annoying stimuli and may provide relief to the skin.
16) Tocopherol (Vitamin E) – It serves as an antioxidant for the product and for its skin conditioning properties.
17) Allantoin– It works to hydrate the skin. It also contains panthenol, which is a vitamin that may help smooth skin.
18) Stearic Acid- They may be used as emulsifiers (agents used to combine ingredients), or as a thickener or a cleansing agent
20) Cetyl Alcohol– They help create smoother creams, thicker lotions, and more stable foam products.
21) Lauryl Alcohol– Lauryl Alcohol Ethoxylate works extremely well as a foaming agent in personal care products
22) Myristyl Alcohol– functions as a thickener, emulsion stabilizer, and emollient
23) Lecithin– Lecithin and Hydrogenated Lecithin enhance the appearance of dry or damaged skin by reducing flaking and restoring suppleness
24) Pentylene Glycol– used as a solvent and preservative
25) Phenylpropanol-A naturally occurring floral component with a delicate scent that can mask the odour of other raw materials but is not noticeable in the final product
26) Sodium Benzoates– it acts as a corrosion inhibitor, fragrance ingredient, and preservative
27) Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate.-Tetrasodium glutamate diacetate is a safe synthetic chelating agent with natural origins
28) Behenyl Alcohol-As an opacifying agent, behenyl alcohol is used to reduce the clear or
the transparent appearance of cosmetic products.
29) Triglyceride -Emollients form a protective layer on the skin, locking in moisture to prevent
the skin from drying out.
30)Caffeine– As an antioxidant, it may decrease the production of reactive oxygen species
and free radicals as well as damage from ultraviolet radiation
PRODUCTS OFFERED BY LUME
1) Lume deodorants
Bright tangerine balanced with cooling herbals.
No essential oils or masking scents, just the fleeting scent of ingredients.
The scent of lavender with a hint of clary sage
Prominent floral notes of jasmine and rose
2) Body care
Cool cucumber with sweet melon
Spring peony with a touch of rose and citrus.
That BO isn’t you. It’s your clothes. Bust through detergent-resistant odour stains!
Freshen up on the go.
How is Lume different from other deodorants in the market?
‘Unlike most of the deodorant companies that are available in the market today, Lume provides its customers with 100% natural products. In other words, their products can be used by people with even very sensitive skin.
Also, their products can be used on any part of the body. Lume is hypoallergenic, so it makes its products without using ingredients that irritate the skin.
It doesn’t change the skin’s healthy pH balance, either. In addition to being aluminium-free and baking soda free, Lume does not contain propylene glycol, parabens, or artificial fragrances or dyes.
How Lume compares to Schmidt’s and Native?
Lume has more of a buttery texture feeling, whereas Schmidt has more of a chalky feeling to it, but it doesn’t feel chalky over the underarm, it feels chalky only when it’s in the jar. Native has a rough texture, almost gritty. The comparison among the 3 are given in the table below-
Stick & Tube
Price per stick
About 8% off
Subscription frequency option
1, 2, 3, or 4 months
Vegan, free of aluminium, parabens and sulphates
Vegan, aluminium-free, cruelty-free, artificial fragrances, baking soda, baking soda, phthalates, sulphates, silicone, parabens & talc
Vegan, cruelty-free, aluminium-free, Maranta arundinacea (arrowroot) powder, Cocos Nucifera (coconut) oil, Butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) etc.
The intended area of use
Safe for body
Return within 30 days for a full refund, including return & shipping
Return one opened stick or tube within 30 days to get a full refund, minus return shipping
100% return guarantee within 60 days of purchase.
While Lume is a pricier option, we love its dual purpose. In addition to working as your daily underarm deodorant, it can also help you manage odour all over.
If you’re running straight from the office to the gym, or perhaps from the gym to dinner with friends, you’re going to need odour protection everywhere, and Lume’s sensitive skin-friendly formula has that to offer.
Plus, it can be an excellent companion to treatments for vaginal infections (just make sure to check with your doctor first). It’s our top pick as a healthier alternative to keep you smelling fresh ALL OVER.
How much do Lume products cost?
A list of the Lume bestsellers is being provided below to give you an idea of the price range of its products-
1) Biofilm buster (NEW)
2) Sweet Lily
PRICE- $ 27.98 (17% OFF)
3) Twisted Lime
PRICE- $ 27.78 (17% OFF)
4) Build your bundle
(Triple threat bundle)
PRICE- $ 46.97
5) Clean cotton
(Deodorant wipes, 45ct small pack)
6) Build your bundle
(Four soap bundles)
PRICE- $ 21.96
How to order Lume Deodorant?
Open their website and click on “SHOP” on the upper right corner of the screen
Select the body part for which you need the product
Select ADD TO CART of the product that you are willing to purchase
A small screen will POP-UP on the bottom of the screen, click CHECKOUT
Fill in the personal details & finally pay the product price to place the order
I get tears of joy at how my confidence level is through the roof.– Lili P
You name it, I’ve tried it. NOTHING WORKED. Lume works AMAZINGLY! I was shaking! I can use this ANYWHERE on my body. My armpits, my mother apron, under the girls, and don’t have to worry about irritation. LUME IS LEGIT!– Pamela Z.
Works great for me! Got unscented and I have zero odour even after a long, strenuous shift at work!— Leah A.
Source- Lume official website
In my opinion, currently, Lume is one of the best natural deodorants brands in the market, and if you are looking for a natural deodorant, you should definitely go for it! Its products are completely natural and clinically proven too.
Lume products can be used on different sorts of skin, even on the ones that are extremely sensitive. Although the products are a little expensive compared to the other natural deodorant brands, Lume is worth every penny.