When you are designing a new house or renovating your present one, the colour and texture of the walls are always a major concern. For this purpose, people use various colours of paints to make their homes look pretty.
Paints can completely transform the look of your home. In other words, they give the final touch-up and make your home livable.
However, the quality of the paints matters a lot. And, in a competitive world, it is difficult to choose the right type of paint for your home.
With this review, we have brought to you ‘BackDrop‘, a company which offers good quality paints in a variety of colors.
This review will take you through different aspects of the company as a whole, its products, its pros and cons, customers’ point of view, and many more, which will eventually help you decide if it is a brand worth buying or not.
Backdrop: The Overview of Brand
Backdrop is a Los Angeles – based company which specializes in providing premium quality and eco-friendly paints.
The company was founded by Natalie and Caleb Ebel in the year 2018. The couple is used to painting their house whenever they move to a new place.
However, they often felt the pain of visiting the hardware store again and again to decide the color, shades, quality, and quantity of paints required.
Hence, they decided to make a brand specifically for paints offering premium quality paints to the customers. This led to the birth of Backdrop in 2018.
Within around 3 years of operations, the brand has made great goodwill in the market. It has been featured in various media outlets like The New York Times, Forbes, CNN, GQ Magazine, and many more.
The brand has more than 67K followers on Instagram and more than 5K followers on Facebook. Considering the three year operations, the brand has a very well-established social media presence.
Detailed information about Backdrop
What differentiates Backdrop from other paint brands is that it offers just around 50 colors and shades of paint. Generally, the paint companies offer thousands of colors to the customers which eventually confuses them and makes the task more tedious.
Also, through Backdrop’s online platform, customers do not need to visit hardware stores to view paints. They can just scroll through the website and choose the paint they like. The paint will be delivered to their doorstep within the stipulated period.
Let’s have a look at a few Pros and Cons of the brand:
- The paint leaves a minimum smell and has minimum use of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC).
- The company is certified to be climate neutral and also has Green Wise Certification.
- Further, the paints are vegan and cruelty-free.
- The company offers consultation for colors to the customers.
- The packaging of the paint is eco-friendly.
- Customers get fast and free delivery of paints.
- International shipping is not available at Backdrop.
- The paints offered by the company are a bit costlier than the ones available in the market.
- Return of paints by the customers is not free.
- The number of colours is limited only to around 50 shades.
Backdrop: What are the Varieties the Brand Offers?
The Backdrop provides each and everything you need to give a new look to the walls of your house.
Apart from premium quality paints, the company also offers wall coverings and various painting supplies like brushes, spackles, rollers, tape, etc.
Let us have a look at some best selling products of this DTC brand to have a better understanding of the company.
Backdrop Paint is the main and central product offered by the company. In fact, paints are the original products of the company and all others were added later.
The company offers paints in two categories – Interiors and Exteriors. Further, both of these categories are divided into three subcategories.
Backdrop Interior Paint
Just as the name suggests, these paints are used for painting the interiors of a house. The interior paints are divided into three types – Standard Finish, Semi-gloss Finish, and Cabinet & Doors.
Within each of these categories, there is a wide variety of paints available. The customers can also get samples of each color to try just at a price of $3.
- The Standard Finish is generally used for painting the walls of the house. These paints are made using acrylic resins which increases their durability. Further, the paints are GreenWise certified, Climate Neutral certified and have minimum odor and VOC. The paints have quick drying times and have a higher coverage.
- The Semi-gloss Finish has enough gloss for improving durability, but not too much to give a shiny look. The other characteristics of these paints are similar to those of Standard Finish. These paints are also made using acrylic resins for increased durability. They have less odor and minimum use of VOC. The paints are GreenWise certified and Climate Neutral certified. They too have quick drying times and high coverage.
- Cabinets and Doors – Lastly, the company offers separate paints for cabinets and doors. This is because the paint applied on the walls is not very suitable for doors and cabinets. All the other categories of these paints are the same as those of the Standard Finish.
Pricing – The starting price of Backdrop’s Interior Paints is $45.
Backdrop Exterior Paints
The paint used for interior walls is not suitable for the exteriors of the house. The exterior walls of the house have to bear various challenges posed by the environment.
Hence, they require something different and highly durable to overcome these challenges.
The Backdrop offers paints specially designed for exteriors. The Exterior Paints are further divided into – Standard Finish, Semi-gloss Finish and Exterior Primer. Backdrop offers more than 50 colours in this category. Customers can get samples for each colour starting at a price of $3.
- The Standard Finish – These paints have all the qualities of the interior Standard Finish. What differentiates them is their higher durability against inappropriate weather, sunshine and humidity.
- The Semi-gloss Finish – The Semi-gloss Finish is often preferred for painting doors and trims. Apart from all the characteristics of interior Semi-gloss Finish, these paints are made to sustain extreme conditions of weather, humidity and sunshine.
- The Exterior Primer – When you paint a highly glossy or stained wall, it is a quite difficult task. Covering stains and gloss may lead to a lack of uniformity in painting. In such a situation, Primer is very helpful. It is used before applying the original paint and helps in giving a better look to walls. Backdrop’s Exterior Primer is made using Eco-friendly and vegan ingredients. It has minimum odor and VOC. The quality of the Primer is claimed to be excellent by many customers.
Pricing – The starting price of Backdrop’s Exterior Paints is $45 and that of Primer is $55.
Backdrop Wall Covering
Wall Coverings are a new and modern way to give a new look to your house. Backdrop offers a wide variety of wall coverings to its customers.
The main features of the wall coverings are:
- The artwork used is hand-crafted and is printed on a non-woven ground.
- Just like all other products offered by the company, the wall coverings are also eco-friendly in nature.
- The patterns are designed at the company’s studio in Los Angeles and they are printed in Brooklyn under expert supervision.
- A huge variety, in terms of colours and patterns, is available for the customers to choose from.
- The wall coverings are sold in rolls of 5 yards each.
Pricing – The wall coverings have a starting price of $28/yard on the company’s website. However, this price may vary as per the design you choose.
Paint is not the only thing you need to transform your home, you also need various other supplies to paint and work. Backdrop has the supplies and add-ons you need to complete the task of painting in the most efficient way.
The company offers rollers and their handles to make the task of painting uniform and quick. The rollers are available in two sizes – 4″ and 9″. Further, the company also offers roller handle extensions so that you can easily reach ceilings and high walls.
In addition, it offers primers for both exterior and interior surfaces. Colour cards, paint pails, colour trays, touch up kits, and putty knives are also available to buy for the customers.
Moreover, the company also offers t-shirts, painter’s tape, a sample binder, drop cloth and many more supplies for making the painting task smooth and fluent.
How to Order Backdrop Products?
If you are looking forward to transforming your home, we highly recommend Backdrop’s products to you. The below steps will help you to get your desired product from the company’s website:
- Visit the Website – First of all, you will have to visit the brand’s website (https://www.backdrophome.com/). Once you are on the website, click on the top left Options button.
- Choose the category of your desired products – Within the Options tab, you will get options of Paint, Wall Coverings and Supplies. Now, you will have to choose the category to which your desired product belongs.
- Select the product – For Wall Coverings and Supplies categories, you will directly be shown a list of products to choose from. However, under the Paint category, you will have further options for Interior and Exterior Paints. Moreover, both of these options have three sub-options each, as discussed earlier. Under each sub-option, you will get a list of products. Now, you will have to select the product you wish to buy and add it to your cart.
- Fill in details and make payment – Lastly, you need to provide the required details like name, email, contact, address, and some other details. After providing these details, you will have to choose the payment option and it’s done. You will receive your order within the specified time.
Backdrop Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
In order to make this review holistic, we have taken certain customer reviews and ratings into consideration. Backdrop’s official website is filled with a whole lot of positive reviews. The overall rating of the brand on the website is a whopping 4.95/5 stars. Customers have praised the products’ quality, ease of use, colours, etc. and the company’s quick and responsive service. Let us have a look at a few customer reviews:
“The BEST customer service ever! Lauren and Hannah were so helpful, throughout my paint selection process. Thank you !”One customer praised the brand’s customer service by writing
“Went very well. The paint and primer are both nice and smooth. Painters really liked the paint, especially since it dried quickly and had little odor at all.”Another customer praised the quality of the paints
“Loved how easy it was to come up with a color scheme. Customer service was top notch and paint was applied easily with great coverage. Definitely would recommend it to anyone.”Another reviewer wrote
From the high number of positive customer reviews, we can clearly interpret that customers love the brand and its products.
We found it very difficult to find any bad reviews about the brand apart from a few complaining about broken cans. Overall, we can say it is an excellent brand with excellent products.
Products offered by Backdrop are Worth It?
We strongly believe that Backdrop’s products are worth your money. As discussed in the review, the paints are of high quality and provide various benefits like minimum odour and less use of VOC.
Keeping aside the review and benefits, the immense number of positive customer reviews on the company’s website is enough to act as proof of the brand’s trustworthiness and reliability.
Additionally, the brand being featured in many trustable media outlets also makes us believe that the brand’s products are worth customers’ money.
Hence, we can assure you, without any sort of doubt, that the brand’s products are completely worth it.
Our verdict on Backdrop
From the above analysis and discussion, we can safely conclude that Backdrop is a brand worth a try. The main demand for paint is fulfilled by premium quality paint which is just perfect to give new look to your walls.
By using the brand’s products, customers can contribute their bit to saving the environment. This is because the paint is made up of environment-friendly ingredients and is packed in cans which are safe for nature.
Further, the brand is both Green Wise certified and Climate Neutral certified. All these factors make the products safe to use for both customers as well as the environment.
In addition, customers also get the benefits of low odor, quick-drying hours, higher coverage, ease of use, easy wash, low VOC, and many more.
Moreover, customers can also get samples of paints for testing purposes. This helps customers to decide which is the most suitable color for their home.
Considering the above-mentioned features and advantages, it is very clear that the brand is good and trustworthy. We highly recommend you try the brand’s products at least once.
At the same time, we can assure you that Backdrop will serve you well and won’t disappoint you.